Sanitary Napkin is a type of feminine hygiene product available at stores or pharmacies. They are often used as disposable absorbent products to protect against leakage during menstruation. They have been described as a medical necessity but should be used according to individual’s needs and preferences
A Sanitary napkin is essential for every woman not just for menstruating women. All women must know how to use them and how to care for them.
They come in many different shapes and sizes, providing many options for every woman of reproductive age. Some women prefer pads with wings, others prefer without them. There are pads that have a super absorbent core made of cotton to help provide maximum protection for heavy flow days while others also have extra leak barriers to protect against leaks
You can’t afford to buy new pads every month? Then there are the reusable menstrual pads. Do you want to save money and protect the environment? There are reusable pads, but I will also mention something about disposable sanitary napkins and how they are very useful. No matter the brand, every woman must know how to use them and be familiar with the usage and care.
What Is A Sanitary Napkin?
A Menstrual pad, Sanitary pad, Sanitary towel, or Sanitary Napkin is a Feminine hygiene product worn on the gusset of the underwear to absorb vagina discharge like Menstrual discharge, Lochia (bleeding after childbirth), fluids after gynecological surgery, miscarriage, and abortion fluids.
Types Of Sanitary Napkin.
1. Disposable Sanitary Pads:
Disposable Sanitary pads are produced such that they could be used once and disposed of after. Disposable sanitary pads are composed of Cotton, cellulose gel, rayon, synthetic fiber, and polymer powder. They are several types of disposable sanitary pads, they vary in size but are chosen with respect to the amount of vagina flow.
Let’s talk about the cotton pads and how they work. They have two parts. The outer layer is absorbent and soft with a layer of cotton fibers. The absorbent core is filled with a gel or liquid to help soak up your menstrual flow. This gel helps to get rid of blood faster, so it can be removed easier as well as prevent more blood from forming in the pad during your monthly cycle.
Types Of Disposable Sanitary Pads.
- Panty Liners– are feminine hygiene products worn on the gusset of the underwear to absorb light vagina discharge and slight urinary incontinence. It can also be used for a backup when using a menstrual cup or tampon.
- Ultra-Thin– They are slim pads with about the same absorbency capacity as Regular or Super pads, but they are weightless.
- Regular pads– have a moderate absorbency capacity
- Super/ Maxi– has a high absorbency capacity, it is best used on the first day of your menstrual period when the flow is heavy.
- Overnight Pads– absorbency is very suitable for overnight use. It is longer than regular Pads. It also offers you protection when lying down.
- Maternity Pads– are made to absorb lochia. It is quite longer than the super/maxi pads.
2. Reusable(Cloth) Sanitary Napkin.
Reusable sanitary pads are made of absorbent fabrics like hemp and cotton flannel. Reusable or cloth sanitary pads are very suitable for those that get allergies from the use of disposable pads. Cloth sanitary pads are economic and eco-friendly, it doesn’t have to be disposed of after use.
The reusable sanitary pad is made out of 3 layers. The first layer is an inner layer made of fabric that can absorb menstrual blood, the second layer is a middle layer made of cotton, to help the inner layer absorb the fluid better, and finally an outer layer made from polyester or something similar so that you have a more comfortable feel and keeps your underwear clean.
Common Styles Of A Cloth Or Reusable Sanitary Napkin.
- Envelope/pocket style: This is a two-piece pad, the absorbent layer, and the body of the pad. The absorbent layer is inserted into the pocket in the body of the pad when needed.
- Foldable style: Foldable style pads are designed in a way that there is a section that folds out for quicker drying. They are made with a winged pad shape sewn to a large rectangle that is folded into third to form the absorbent part of the pad.
- All-In-One: The absorbent layer and other parts of the pad is sewn together.
- Insert On Top: In this style, the absorbent layer can be inserted and secured on top of the pad when needed.
3. Swimming Sanitary Pads are actually swimming pants just like the regular bikini but have a waterproof absorbent layer sewn inside of them. The sole aim is to enable swimmers to swim during their period without polluting the water.