The vagina walls produce fluids that lubricate the vagina upon arousal, In order to reduce friction during sexual intercourse and provide an alkaline environment for sperm to survive and travel in. Vagina fluids also provide a level of protection against STIs.
There are a variety of reasons a woman might experience dryness in the vagina, and unsurprisingly, many of them have to do with hormonal changes.
This blog post will explore some reasons that could cause a woman to experience vaginal dryness: for example, hormonal changes during menopause and peri-menopause, treatments for cancer including chemotherapy and radiation, medications such as antidepressants or antipsychotics, and others.
The known cause of vagina dryness is low estrogen levels. Not only can low estrogen levels cause vaginal dryness, It can also lead to other uncomfortable changes, including vaginal itching and swelling of the vagina. It can also affect your sex drive.
Estrogens are hormones that maintain the vagina. It keeps the lining of the vagina lubricated, elastic and thick.
When the estrogen level drops, the vagina walls grow thinner, which results in a decrease in fluids producing cells, thereby making the vagina dry.
It’s important that women aren’t afraid or ashamed of having these types of problems or conversations about them with their doctors. There are a number of prescription treatments available for dry vaginal tissue including supplements and topical estrogen products.
If you’re experiencing menopause, don’t get too frustrated about your vaginal dryness! Read on to learn more about what options are available for easing the discomfort.
Causes Of Vagina Dryness.
- Menopause and Perimenopause- There are many different factors that cause aging changes in the vaginal area prior to menopause. The main one is a fall in the levels of estrogen, the hormone responsible for keeping a woman’s reproductive system functioning properly. It is very common for women to experience vaginal dryness as well as other symptoms during menopause; whether or not she is on hormone replacement therapy.
- Chemotherapy and Radiation treatment- Many women will experience vaginal dryness after a course of cancer treatment, in particular chemotherapy or radiotherapy treatments. This can probably occur at any time during the cancer treatment when the vaginal tissue is damaged from either the therapy itself or from stress when it’s being performed
- Anti-Estrogen Medication- Many women will begin to experience vaginal dryness due to the effects of some medications. There are many different types of medications that can be prescribed for a variety of different reasons. for example women with the last stage of edometriosis will be adminstered anti-estrogen medication to manage the condition. .
- Childbirth and breastfeeding- This is a period when hormones fluctuate in a woman’s body, dryness of the vagina can possible occur during this period. It is not a big deal, with time it will be resolved naturally. All you have to do is maintain good habits and eat well. Feel free to use water based lubricant during sexual intercourse.
- Infections- Some infections can affects the walls of our vagina and the cells which are responsible for the lubrication of the vagina walls.
- Surgical removal of Ovaries- When your ovaries are moved, you body won’t see the need to produces Estrogen. whenyou estrogen level is low you will suffer vagina dryness.
- Excessive Stress.
- Antidepressant and Antipsychotic.
- Sjögren syndrome.
- Rigorous exercise.
- Smoking of Cigerette.
Signs Of Vagina Dryness.
- Pains during sexual intercourse.
- Reoccurring urinary tract Infections.
- Itching and burning Vagina.
- Soreness in genitalia.
- Light bleeding After sexual intercourse.
Treatments Available For Vagina Dryness.
The first thing to do when you experience dryness is to book an appointment with a gynecologist.
- Cream: You can apply Estrace and premarin using and applicator, medication should last for 2-3 weeks.
- Rings: vagina rings are inserted with the help of a doctor, it contains synthetic estrogens and it delivers estrogen directly to your tissue.
- Tablet: Vagifem is a reliable tablet for treating vagina dryness. Use daily for 2 weeks.
- Oils: special oils like glycerin min oil-polycarbophil (Replen) can also be used.
- There are herbs and fruit that treats vaginal dryness. Snut Apple fruits are a natural aphrodisiac and a good remedy for vagina dryness.
- Diet- Incorporate Estrogen boosting foods in your diet.
- Avoid using condoms that have nonoxynol-9.
- Avoid using irritating products on the V-Area, products like spray, douches et Cetra.
- Treat all Infections properly and promptly.
- Dont drink birth control pills indiscrimately.
- Incorporate Estrogen boosting foods in your diet.
- Avoid too much stress. Do Yoga and other relaxation therapy when stressed.