Vaginoplasty is also known as posterior colporrhaphy, it is a surgical procedure for the reconstruction or construction of a vagina. Vaginoplasty includes orchiectomy, penectomy, the creation of a sensate neo-clitoris, labia minora, labia majora, and neovagina.
For trans women Vaginoplasty, penile inversion technique is used to construct vaginal lining, using penile skin. The surgeon uses current genital tissues like scrotal skin to create a vagina canal and external genitalia. In some cases, the surgeon may need to graft the skin from the abdomen to construct a perfect vagina canal. The goal is to make a vagina that matches the individual’s gender identity and sexual characteristics.
Vaginoplasty is also performed as cosmetic surgery, it is performed to revise an existing vagina. It involves repairing any damage to the normal vagina, vagina opening, or vulva that has occurred since birth. The pre-existing vagina is modified or augmented. This procedure may involve tightening the tissues of the vagina and vulva.
Who Needs A Vaginoplasty?
- Someone who want to identify with the female gender.
- An adult woman whose vagina has experienced damage, maybe as a result of childbirth.
- Women with Vaginal Agenesis.
- Women who have had a Vaginectomy.
How To Prepare For A Vaginoplasty.
Prior to your surgical appointment, your doctor will to give you instructions. Please adhere to all instructions from your surgeon.
Here are some other things you should do.
- Discontinue the use of estrogen (or any hormonal therapy) weeks before your sugerical appointment to avoid blood clots.
- Remove pubic hairs using permanent hair removers like electrolysis and lasers.
- Avoid substances like tobacco, aspirin, cigarettes et cetra when preping for your surgery .
What Should I Except After A Vaginoplasty Surgery?
- You may experience urinary spraying for sometime after your surgery.
- You may experience soreness, swellings and bruises.
- Some patients fall sick upon waking up from anesthesia.
The Dos And Don’t After A Vaginoplasty Surgery.
- You must dilate your neovagina everyday to avoid stenosis or narrowing of the vagina.
- After your doctor removes your vagina packing, usually five days after the vaginoplasty surgery, perform vaginal rinses three times daily.
- Douche your vagina with unscented vagina douche. Do it according to the amount of vagina discharge you have, at least 2 times daily.
- Do not scrub your surgical site while bathing.
- Avoid soaking in the bathtub till your doctor certifies it.
- Avoid splashing water directly to your surgical site
- When wiping your genitals, wipe back front to prevent infection from the anal region.
- Abstain from sexual activities for at least 12 weeks after the surgery.
How Long Does It Take To Recover From Vaginoplasty Surgery?
- It may takes 8-12weeks to recover fully from the surgery.